Wednesday, July 25, 2007

More about kids or no kids

I just got back from the mountain and checked my blog and was surprised to find some comments after the last post! Yay, comments!!

I know plenty of folks, who, like me, choose a path other than that of parenthood. I know plenty of parents, and also a few non-parents who want children dreadfully and for whom parenthood is a difficult place to get to. I don't get too much pressure about my empty womb. I am lucky to have parents who don't try to negotiate this with me so that they can be grandparents. I bet they would love to be grandparents. I am sorry that this is an experience they may miss out on because of choices I have made. But they are my choices to make, and they have not said one word about it.
On that note, they are probably so relieved that I am not institutionalized in some fashion that not having grandchildren is just fine with them. I'm kidding, but not really.
For those of you 6 people reading--do you feel pressured to have children, even though you have chosen otherwise?
People ask me all the time if VBM and I are planning to, and I always say no. Sometimes I'll share that I have never felt compelled to do so, and I'm not interested. It used to be that I'd get told I'd change my mind. But now that I'm reaching middle age, maybe my choices don't seem so naive. Or maybe people figure that an asshole like me should definitely not try parenting.
I don't feel I need an excuse. I don't feel pressured culturally to procreate, or, for that matter, to marry.
I kind of want another puppy, though. VBM is not so inclined.
"But," I whined, "My biological clock is ticking! I want a puppy!"
It didn't work. I thought it was worth a try.

6 comments:

Althea Rocks said...

They ran out of "maternal instincts" and "biological clocks" the hour I was born. Most people would be happy if they could get me out on a date. They don't even bring up kids. I like my dogs.

evil cake lady said...

well, you know me. i would love to be molly weasley.

Voix said...

I can't wait to have babies, but I think it's fantastic that you share your woman energy with the world in other ways.

ECL -- one of the reasons Molly Weasly isn't completely insane is that her kids go away to school at the age of 11 and she doesn't have to deal with teenagers every day unless it's the summer.

Oh -- wait, that explains it! I'm crazy because I deal with teenagers every day, unless it's summer.

zetta said...

VOIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to be a gramma. No question. But I firmly believe that having or not having children is strictly up to the couple involved. No one else is going to raise that child. Unless one really really really really wants kids, they shouldn't have them. I am so happy to have my 2, but if you think getting a DOG is a huge commitment.....
I'm happy you don't feel pressured. I am coming to feel at peace with knowing I probably will not ever be a gramma. I can live with that. Anyhow, I'm getting too damn old to be a very good babysitter anymore!
I love you!

Anonymous said...

I rarely need to defend my position to not have kids. My mom supports me, as do my friends. Will I regret this decision one day? don't know. But for now, I am where I want to be, and having 2 dogs fits me just fine.