Thursday, August 07, 2008

I'm doomed.

A couple of nights ago I went out to dinner with an old friend I hadn't seen in a long time.
He's smart and wry and funny. We stayed up too late, drank too much, and ate too much food that had spent time in a fryer. We laughed, we told stories, we said some honest things about things that happened in the past, and who we are today. It was great fun.
This morning, he called me.
He said:
"I'm just thinking about you. You're wonderful."
I caught my breath, had a brief, superficial conversation with him about how Cooper had barfed in is kennel last night.
Then I got really worried. When I came home for lunch, I called him back and said something foolish about how I really can't handle things turning into a nightmare right now.
He seemed nonplussed and plain spoken and reassuring.
"Don't worry about it. There's nothing more to it than I was thinking about you and wanted to tell you so."
Suddenly I feel like I have no idea how to conduct myself in this world of being single. I am unfettered but I don't know what to do with it, how to hang out in it, or even what to say about it.

3 comments:

Dale said...

Are there people who know how to conduct themselves in that world? If so, I bet they're horrible :-)

Voix said...

Oh sweetie. Just breathe. And pick up a couple of John Gray books. He's got great insight on how things work.

Shawn said...

Don't even sweat it. Attraction on another person's part doesn't require a reaction or even response on yours.

Face it, you are pretty damned hot...

Oh, I'm back to my pirate's blog, as I've return to sea.