Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Is there a ghost in my house


(photo by some innocent bystander)
I had the best weekend with my friend from long ago. It has been a decade since we lived in the same part of the country, but some things never change. We still listen to the same music, and over time our tastes and preferences have evolved in kind. We make the same silly gestures that nobody else makes; we both like to blandly state the obvious and then giggle about it. I wondered if this is a product of knowing one another for most of our lives, having been kids together, or having been kids in the same place? Or are we just both members of the same strange tribe? I don't know.
It was fun to take her to the ocean, where she loves to go, and watch her delight in the briny edge of the continent. I liked making sure she was comfortable and fed and listened to. We walked up to the top of a waterfall in the rain. We rested in the afternoons. We ate a lot of food.
Spending this time with her was the same as it ever was, but sweeter, more clever, and more honest than it has ever been. I miss her already.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to have had each other in your lives for so long.

Althea Rocks said...

You Rock!!